The review aimed to assess the strategic case for tidal lagoons and whether they could represent value for money for the consumer. The review included:
- an assessment of whether, and in what circumstances, tidal lagoons could play a cost effective role as part of the UK energy mix;
- the potential scale of opportunity in the UK and internationally, including supply chain opportunities;
- consideration of a range of possible structures for financing tidal lagoons;
- consideration of different sizes of projects as the first of a kind; and
- whether a competitive framework could be put in place for the delivery of tidal lagoon projects.
The review took place in consultation with the relevant Government departments, in particular the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and HM Treasury, but also with devolved offices.